[Distutils] RFC : Version comparison

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 07:53:27 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Trent Mick <trentm at gmail.com> wrote:
> [Tarek]

> [Trent]
>>> Or we could have:
>>>
>>>    RationalVersion(...version bits...)
>>>    RationalVersion.from_string(s)      # this is a @classmethod
>
> [Tres]
>> I would prefer keeping the string version of __init__, with the "I'm in
>> control, dammit" version reserved for the non-default factory method.
>
> I'd tend to agree, but I don't feel strongly about it.
>
> Tarek,
> Why would you prefer the default constructor argument be the version bits form.

The example that came in mind to me was datetime, that uses the bits
in the constructor, plus provides conversion function or class methods
to handle the string form:

datetime(year, month, day[, hour[, minute[, second[, microsecond[,tzinfo]]]]])

So like Sridhar, I'd rather have an detailed constructor.

I'm 0- on Tres proposal though, because the string form will be the
most used form.

Cheers
Tarek