[Distutils] RFC : Version comparison

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 11:11:30 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:
> Clearly being able to parse the string representation is important, since
> this information will largely reside in non-Python text files.  I suppose
> that many people will also be very comfortable with and happy about writing
> RationalVersion(somestring) and ">=somestring".  However, it would also be
> great if there were a way to construct a version object out of structured
> data instead.  Can a constructor which takes each part of the version data
> as a separate object be added?

Sounds good, I'd be in favor of making RationalVersion using explicit
version bits,
and having some kind of function:

str2version(somestring) -> RationalVersion instance

I have pushed the prototype in a bitbucket project so everyone can
work it out (just join the project)

http://bitbucket.org/tarek/distutilsversion/

I'll wait for Trent feedback to make that change,

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org