[Distutils] RFC : Version comparison

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 11:12:22 CEST 2009

Hi,

We worked during Pycon on version comparisons. Distutils has one but
it is a bit strict, setuptools has another one, but it's a bit
heuristic.

We would like to propose the inclusion for Python 2.7 of a new version
comparison algorithm, based on the discussion
Fedora, Ubuntu and Python people had. The plan would be to deprecate
the current one (which is not really used anyway)
and provide, promote this one.

Trent Mick took the lead on this work at the end of Pycon, and worked
on a prototype.

It's explained here, and there's an implementation  (I've put it at
the top of the page for conveniency):

http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils/VersionComparison

Please comment,

Regards