[Distutils] PEP 376 - install/uninstall script in Distutils ?

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Sun Apr 19 14:59:10 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:08:22AM +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 5:40 AM, Kevin Teague <kevin at bud.ca> wrote:
> > If there was a installer, I'm assuming it'd be quite a simple one - e.g.
> > installs single-version into site-packages. This caters to well to casual
> > user -- they can just run a "standard" command out-of-the-box and take-off
> > running with a distribution, but it also teaches them bad habits (e.g. that
> > you want to be commonly installing into site-packages or that you want to
> > develop your own code without properly expressing it's dependencies). When
> > they want to use better development practices, they'll have to switch to a
> > "non-standard" tools to do "non-standard" installations.
>
> For the "site-package" part, this is true, but so wrong. Many people
> in this mailing list (and in real life) agrees that it's
> wrong to install a package in site-packages.

Half of those people say that it's wrong to install into
/usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages (because /usr belongs to apt/rpm) but
fine to install into /usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages.

The other half say that it's always wrong to install globally, since you
may want to use different sets of packages for different purposes.

Marius Gedminas
--
To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.