[Distutils] Buildout recipe for managing .deb packages?

Kent Tenney ktenney at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 22:25:24 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2009, at 3:37 PM, Kent Tenney wrote:
>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Is there a recommended way to manage Debian system
>> packages with a buildout?
>

> I can't imagine why you would want to. I probably don't know what you're
> asking.

to get an app to run or compile I do a bunch of
sudo apt-get install xxxx

This can involve tedious trial and error.

Maybe I like the app, maybe I don't.

If I like it, I want a convenient format in which to remember
the required packages, automate their installation,
provide convenience when building machines.

If I don't like it, I'd like to remove the packages I installed.

Buildout does this for eggs, and tarballs via cmmi, I want the
same convenience for system packages.