[Distutils] short circuiting module lookups

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed Apr 8 19:54:29 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 08:18:41AM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
> Noah Gift wrote:
> >> Was that in the presence of NFS?
> >
> > yes.
>
> Jim's report, which matches my experience, is not related to NFS:
> multiple, zipped bdist_eggs are slower to import / use thant the same
> eggs unzipped.

Right, and I was wondering whether the presence of NFS changes that or
not.  (It's plausible -- if every file access requires a network
roundtrip, maybe accessing one big file is faster than accessing many
small files.  I'm afraid I've exposed my total ignorance of NFS here ;)

> I think the "zip is faster" meme comes from the case of a single
> monolithic zip archive (e.g., the whole stdlib, or all the Zope eggs,
> in one file).

Yes, good point.

Marius Gedminas
--
I code in vi because I don't want to learn another OS. :)
                -- Robert Love