[Distutils] Deprecate MANIFEST.in

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 07:20:11 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 06:17, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Ben Finney wrote:
>>
>> An sdist is *not* just a tarball of the source files.
>
> It is if you consider any non-tracked file to be an anti-usecase, which
> is what I was answering to :)

Except for files generated by the sdist/build-process, yes. Why would
you want to include files in a distribution that are neither
controlled source files or a result of the sdist/build process?

> Moving away from "using VCS is good" vs "using VCS is not good", maybe
> we should focus on the workflows to support. The most significant to me
> is reproducibility (python setup.py sdist output should depend as little
> as possible on its environment - whether the sources are under VCS or
> not, etc....).

OK, here is a usecase. I have a directoy with a module, foo.bar. I
have also in that directory saved a project file from my IDE, because
naturally I save a project file into the directory of every project I
have. But since that's not a part of the module itself I never check
it in.

My friend Bobo, however, does not use an IDE, and does not create a
project file.

In case number one, I specify the files to be included with a wildcard.

In case number two, I do not specify the files to be included at all,
but let sdist determine the files by looking at which files are
version controlled.

Now, in which of these cases will the sdist created by me an d by Bobo
be identical? Right. In the one where the file list is determined by
which files are version controlled. Can we then really say that this
case is more dependent on the environment?

Yes, for me, the sdist will be different if I have a checkout or not,
since I have the project file in the directory. But that's a rather
unusual usecase, don't you think? Why would I have a non-VCS directory
of a mdule with a project file in it, that I distribute? If I modify a
project, it should be checked in.

Asking the VCS for which files are checked in i sthe most reliable way
of figuring out which files are actually source files I can think of.

--
Lennart Regebro: Pythonista, Barista, Notsotrista.
http://regebro.wordpress.com/