[Distutils] Deprecate MANIFEST.in

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 15:53:01 CEST 2009

2009/4/6 P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>:
> Have you ever *used* plain distutils for a significant project?  I invented
> the source control feature in setuptools because I was constantly ending up
> with files missing from my sdists, due to forgetting to add some sort of
> glob pattern to MANIFEST.in.  It's not going to be any better by putting
> those globs into setup.py.

Well, I used setuptools unfortunately. The day I switched from svn to
mercurial, people started
to complain because my distribution had missing files.

So I eventually switch to use MANIFEST.in, because package_data
features were incomplete.

So, I know exactly on my side why I don't want to be tighted to a VCS plugin.