[Distutils] Deprecate MANIFEST.in

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Apr 6 08:40:58 CEST 2009

Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 08:02, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > I'm not advocating using the VCS to *generate the tarball*. I'm
> > talking about using the VCS to *determine what files to put in the
> > tarball*.
>
> What's the difference?

The former is having the sdist process tell the VCS “generate a
tarball export of the versioned files” which isn't much use since the
result still isn't a complete sdist.

The latter is having the sdist process query the VCS “tell me the set
of version files by name” and then using that information in the rest
of the normal sdist creation process.

David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> writes:

> Currently, using the vcs plugin does include everything as far as I
> know. So what do you have in mind ?

That, in the presence of a VCS and in the absence of a ‘MANIFEST.in’
file, the “create an sdist” procedure should query the VCS inventory
for the information it would otherwise get from the ‘MANIFEST.in’.
Thus making that file unnecessary in many cases that I care about.

--
 \         “A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing |
  `\                                                 well.” —anonymous |