[Distutils] [pyconuk] "just use debian"

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Fri Sep 26 23:09:40 CEST 2008

Hi Stephen,

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 11:59:18AM +0100, Stephen Pascoe wrote:
> I'm interested in hearing what you find so annoying about the egg format
> because for me it's the one part of the setuptools system that I would keep.

I suppose the best answer is to point you to this thread:
http://teams.debian.net/lurker/message/20070904.152810.4f84c924.fr.html

There is also useful information at:
    http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPythonFAQ
and
    http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/
but I would not bet on the latter being up to date.

Baseline is "no problem with providing egg-info metadata, but pretty
please Python developers, do not code *for* distutils/setuptools/etc.
Just find a way to provide useful dependency/meta information then let
your users choose how they install your code on *their* system".

--
Nicolas Chauvat