[Distutils] [Fwd: Re: Annoucing distribute project]

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Sep 26 18:05:24 CEST 2008

At 11:47 AM 9/26/2008 -0400, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>and those parts that are compiler/install-layout specific will need
>to be maintained in the stdlib anyway, for Python's own build infrastructure.

I just realized the above is not too clear: what I mean is that
anything that's specific to *Python's* installation layout on a given
platform should be in the stdlib.  (Not the things that depend on how
vendors want libraries to be installed or how users want to install
them; that should be left to community-supplied installation tools,
except for a single, simple "standard" install tool, analagous to
wsgiref's SimpleHTTPServer -- able to do the basic stuff, but if you
want fancy, you go roll your own or download someone else's.)