[Distutils] Annoucing distribute project

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Sep 25 17:37:07 CEST 2008

Matthias Klose wrote:

>  - setuptools has the narrow minded view of a python package being
>    contained in a single directory, which doesn't fit well when you
>    do have common locations for include or doc files. Does the fork
>    accept patches to change such limitations and allowing FHS
>    compliant packages?

Being self-contained is also a feature. People who package softwares
outside distributions like this, as you are surely aware. Personally, I
don't like that setuptools broke distutils install either (I prefer to
manage my packages with stow, because setuptools broke too many times my
setup for unknown reasons).

There should be the possibility to do both kind of installs
(self-contained, or FHS compliant), but this is not so much a setuptools
issue as a distutils issue, isn't it ? Dealing with this in distutils
will be no fun, though...

cheers,

David