[Distutils] Annoucing distribute project

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Sep 24 19:38:14 CEST 2008

At 01:32 PM 9/24/2008 +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am launching a fork of setuptools. The name is "Distribute". (not
>definitive) and will be community-driven
>
>This fork will remain 100% compatible with setuptools, and follow
>closely setuptools evolutions.

Unfortunately, the only way you can remain 100% compatible with code
"in the field" is by calling your distribution "setuptools" also, or
by having it also install a dummy setuptools egg or at least
.egg-info.  Otherwise, packages that declare a dependency to a
specific setuptools version will cause it to be installed, thereby
overwriting your package.  There's also setup scripts that use
ez_setup, which you could work around for easy_install scenarios with
clever enough monkeypatching, but someone directly running a setup
script would still break.

If you're going to attempt this, I would consider very carefully how
you will address these issues, as it seems to me that it would be
very easy for someone to silently hose their system this way, and
possibly quite difficult to find out what went wrong or how to fix it.