[Distutils] Annoucing distribute project

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 14:39:02 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Sebastien Douche <sdouche at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 13:49, Matthias Klose <doko at cs.tu-berlin.de>
> wrote:
> > announcing a fork without any objective? what is this fork about?
>
> Python community *must* have a robust, stable and well featured
> infrastructure like Cpan, Gem or Apt. The actual situation is insane:
>
> - Setuptools is not on Python core

I agree this is a shame. The boundary between setuptools and distutils is
fuzzy.
But if we build together a good tool, I guess it will be included at some
point
as a distutils replacement.

> - single point failure infrastructure (pypi.p.o)

notice that there's a patch at this point that let setuptools use several
it will be discussed for inclusion in Distribute 0.3

> - not compatible with Hg / Bzr / Git out of the box

Notice that you can write a Manifest.in file to avoid it at this point

> - missing some features
>

> As far I see, the goal is to speed up the development of a great tool,
> not just a fork for fun :).

exactly !

Tarek Ziadé | Association AfPy | www.afpy.org
Blog FR | http://programmation-python.org