[Distutils] Annoucing distribute project

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 14:00:03 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Matthias Klose <doko at cs.tu-berlin.de>wrote:

> announcing a fork without any objective? what is this fork about? if
> it stays 100% compatible, isn't it just more frequent releases?

This fork is about having a tool that is build for and by the community, and
that does
not rely on one single person, that does not have enough spare time to work
on it and
therefore become a bottleneck.

Right now setuptools has one single person with commit privileges, and that
maintains it.
He is a very busy man and we have been struggling for months to speed up bug
fixes and releases.

This tool became a very important part of python development in many places,
and we need to make it evolve faster.

If setuptools development process changes, I will of course, stop the fork.

Regards

Tarek