[Distutils] "Python Package Management Sucks"

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Sep 24 06:48:39 CEST 2008

Rick Warner wrote:
>> Actually, PyPI is replicated.  See, for example,
>> http://download.zope.org/simple/.
>>
>> It may be that some of the mirrors should be better advertised.
>
> A half-hearted effort. at best, after the problems last year.  When I
> configure a CPAN client (once per user) I create a list of replicas I
> want to search for any query from a list of hundreds of  replicas
> distributed around the world.

Can someone suggest the best way to search among repositories?  For
instance, try to connect to one, then stop if it gives Connection
Refused?  If it gives any unexpected error (5xx)?  Timing out is a
common failure, and a pain in the butt, but I guess there's that too.
What does the CPAN client do?

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org