[Distutils] "just use debian"

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 12:47:03 CEST 2008

Nicolas Chauvat wrote:
>> Also some of the Debian Python packages are broken or grossly
>> out-of-date.
>
> File a bug report :)

Yes, because that automatically frees up the packager's time to work on
these issues...

> My problem with setup tools is that they come from windows

I don't think that's the case at all.

> is (almost) no package management system. The consequence is that
> their author reinvented the wheel, but limited it to Python, then
> moved to eggs and made things worse.

Yes, the egg format is annoying.
No, I don't think having a package management system that targets only
python packages is a bad idea.

> My main tool is Python, but I have many other tools on my system. I
> do not want to have as many package management utilities as
> "subsystems".

Then I suggest you volunteer to maintain the debian packages for every
single python package.

> If I have one tool for Python, one for Java, one for C,
> one for Fortran, one for C libraries, one for Gnome, etc. integration
> becomes a nightmare.

If you have projects this large, then you likely want to roll your own
OS packages anyway.

> [Please note that for an experienced Debian developer, making the
> initial package of a Python module can be a matter of half an hour to
> a couple hours and releasing a new version a matter of minutes.]

...and for someone not using Debian or not an experienced Debian
developer? Despite being a fan of Debian, I'm well aware of just how
"friendly" a community it can be to the new user...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk