[Distutils] Symlinks vs API -- question for developers

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Oct 21 01:18:21 CEST 2008

Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Then, you need to flag your icons; this is what you already proposed, in
> a more sophisticated way.
>         foo.png: icon size="48x48" category="apps"
>         foo.svg: icon size="scalable" category="apps"

This smells like overdesign to me. Unless you want to allow
for the possibility of e.g. putting your 48x48 icons in
one location and icons of other sizes in a different
location -- which seems rather unlikely -- then
distinguishing between resources at this level of detail
is not something the API we're considering should be
concerned with.

IMO all we need is a single parameter:

   resource.read(modulename, kind, path)

where 'kind' is one of a well-known set of tags that
correspond to ways that *packagers* may want to organize
resources.

If applications want to categorize their resources in
more detail, it's up to them to provide a mapping from
their own categorization scheme to this one.

--
Greg