[Distutils] Symlinks vs API -- question for developers

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon Oct 20 14:36:32 CEST 2008

On Oct 17, 2008, at 11:32 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> So once again, I think this boils down to these questions: if we
> have a
> small library whose sole purpose is to abstract a data store so you
> can
> find out where a particular non-code file lives on this system will
> you
> use it?

Well, since I'm already using pkg_resources then I'm obviously
willing to use such an API.  Whether I'm willing to switch to a
different API from the one that I already have and that already works
for all of my needs -- pkg_resources -- would be a different question.

By the way, I don't understand that hack using "__file__" that was
mentioned as an alternative, so from my perspective as a poor, dumb,
working developer, that __file__ thing is more confusing than the
pkg_resources API is.

Regards,

Zooko
---