[Distutils] Pre-pre-PEP: Requirements for the Python BUILDS Specification

Josselin Mouette joss at debian.org
Tue Oct 7 15:19:57 CEST 2008

Le mardi 07 octobre 2008 à 08:58 -0400, Jean-Paul Calderone a écrit :
> I don't think the details of the plugin system are relevant to the topic
> under discussion here.  The installation requirements are not unusual for
> the most part - that a directory full of .py files be copied to the install
> location, just as any package would be.  The one unusual thing is that
> non-Twisted package X might want to copy files into twisted/plugins/ (if it
> is providing plugins).

This is not unusual, but other frameworks that do the same don’t break
when you add namespace packages. In fact, the very fact that you can’t
add namespace packages shows that you are abusing the python modules
directory: you are shipping a twisted/plugins/foo/foo.py file which is
not meant to be available as a twisted.plugins.foo.foo module.

The ability to install several incompatible versions of Twisted on the
system is the reason I was given by glyph; if there is another reason,
I’d be happy to hear the explanation, but the result is the same: we had
to code a special case for Twisted.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.