[Distutils] What's the difference between --index-url and --find-links?

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Sat Oct 4 01:38:03 CEST 2008

I understand that --index-url is single valued, and --find-links is
multi-valued. But what's the semantic difference between them? From my
reading, it sounds like they both point to pages that contain links to
eggs (or other distributions).

What I'm really trying to do is set up my own server, with my own
collection of eggs. I want to configure easy_install (via a config file
or command line) to only look at my collection of eggs, and never the
Cheeseshop or anywhere else. Do I do this with just --index-url? Or with
--find-links, and if so, how do I disable the index?

Thanks. I searched the archives, but I couldn't find anything (these are
very common search terms!).

Eric.