[Distutils] "Python Package Management Sucks"

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Thu Oct 2 13:35:10 CEST 2008

-On [20081002 13:29], Josselin Mouette (joss at debian.org) wrote:
>There’s definitely no problem with shipping them in an egg, as long as
>it is possible to ship them at standard locations.

Standard according to whom though?

Contrary to many Linux systems, for example, the BSDs tend to install Python
files to /usr/local or /usr/pkg (if using pkgsrc) and not /usr. I'm sure
/opt is also still widely used.

Furthermore, if by standard you mean */share/locale/XX/LC_MESSAGES/, what
good would an egg do at that place?

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
Reality is an illusion, grimmer. The dreamlands are like masks within
masks, and Time has no dominion beyond the Shroud...