[Distutils] "Python Package Management Sucks"

Josselin Mouette joss at debian.org
Thu Oct 2 13:26:24 CEST 2008

Le jeudi 02 octobre 2008 à 15:33 +1200, Greg Ewing a écrit :
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
> > <nod>  this is what I was afraid of. This is definitely not a definition
> > of resource-only that has meaning for Linux distributions.  None of the
> > data in /usr/share is user-modifiable
>
> In that case it must be there because it's architecture-independent,
> right?
>
> But by that criterion, all .py files should be in /usr/share, too.
>
> Also all shell scripts, Perl code, awk/sed scripts, etc, etc.
> Does the FHS specify that?

The FHS is not that precise, but in Debian, we do:
      * move architecture-independent perl modules to /usr/share/perl5
      * move architecture-independent python modules
        to /usr/share/{python-support,pyshared}
      * when possible, move shell scripts (except those in /usr/bin)
        from /usr/libexec or /usr/lib to /usr/share/$package

There’s no rocket science in that. But I wish we could make things as
simple for Python modules as they are for Perl ones. But Perl does not
allow messing with module namespaces with .pth files, nor shipping
resource files and whatnot in the perl module directory. Only perl
modules are allowed there.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.