[Distutils] Error using easy_install

tjk1 at rice.edu tjk1 at rice.edu
Tue Nov 25 01:47:42 CET 2008

Hello,

I am trying to install easy_install and setuptools so I can install PyOpenGL.

I am using Windows XP Pro SP 2. I use Python 2.4.3 in the C:\Python24
directory.

I downloaded and installed setuptools-0.6c9.win32-py2.4.exe without errors.

I have added C:\Python24\Scripts to my Path.

I have installed ctypes, numpy, PIL, SimpleParse, PyGame, and win32all.

When I try to use easy_install I get this error from pkg_resources.py,
line 1913:

ImportError: No module named command.easy_install

I have read this trouble-shooting advice:
"If EasyInstall/setuptools appears to install correctly, and you can
run the easy_install command but it fails with an ImportError, the
most likely cause is that you installed to a location other than
site-packages, without taking any of the steps described in the Custom
Installation Locations section below. Please see that section and
follow the steps to make sure that your custom location will work
correctly. Then re-install."

But I am not installing to a custom location that I am aware of.
setuptools is found in my C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\ directory.

I can't find any other information on the web other than the
troubleshooting advice on Peak (quoted above).

Can someone help me fix my setuptools?

-Tim