[Distutils] [buildout] private eggs and egg repositories

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sat Nov 15 16:11:14 CET 2008

Chris Withers wrote:
> Andreas Jung wrote:
>>> What I'd like to do is have a "local egg repository" that I can put
>>> these eggs in and then just point buildout at it.
>>
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/haufe.eggserver
>
> So you basically add the egg-server url as a find-links option?

Actually, find-links won't replace the default location that
easy_install/zc.buildout will go to when looking for eggs. It will only
*enhance* the list of potentially installable packages.

If you want your buildout or easy_install to talk to a private package
index *only*, you have to use the 'index' option (-i for easy_install),
e.g.:

   [buildout]
   index = http://your/index   # can also be file:///...

> If you have a find-links in ~/.buildout/default.cfg, will that override
> or be combined with one in a buildout.cfg?

It will be overridden if buildout.cfg specifies a find-links option as
well. buildout.cfg can append to it, however:

   [buildout]
   find-links += some/more/stuff/here