[Distutils] [issue3] eggs on Windows do not differentiate between 32- or 64-bits

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven setuptools at bugs.python.org
Thu May 8 11:14:16 CEST 2008

New submission from Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai at in-nomine.org>:

As I explained in
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2008-April/009398.html eggs
created on either a 32- or 64-bits Windows call the resulting file only a win32 egg.

For pure Python modules this is not an issue. However, when using speedups or
other code that needs to be natively compiled (C source code for example) you
generate specific binaries for either 32- or 64-bits. We already differentiate
between these versions on Unix and as such we should do the same on Windows.

Something like module-1.0-py2.5-win32-i386.egg or module-1.0-py2.5-win32-amd64.egg.

messages: 3
nosy: asmodai
priority: urgent
status: unread
title: eggs on Windows do not differentiate between 32- or 64-bits