[Distutils] [Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Mar 17 17:48:09 CET 2008

> I'm puzzled. We seem to be talking about adding a module to the stdlib
> whose basic function is to download and install setuptools? How is
> this better than just including setuptools in the stdlib?

I can do a review of such a module in an hour. To review setuptools
(which I would have to do if it were to be included), I would likely
need a week or so, full time.

> Personally, I have no problem per se with including setuptools in the
> stdlib. Maybe that means I miss the subtle benefit of this approach...

Did you review setuptools and can vouch that it is written cleanly,
follows the coding style, has correct documentation, and so on?

Regards,
Martin