[Distutils] offline mode for Windows buildout -o or -No doesn't work...any alternatives?

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Mon Mar 10 21:49:30 CET 2008

Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Mar 10, 2008, at 4:11 PM, Michael NT Milne wrote:
>
>> Been told to try this post from Plone users on this list....
>>
>> This is infuriating. Each time we install a new egg we have to run
>> buildout in online mode as buildout -o or buildout -No just produces
>> an invalid command error.
>
> I don't understand what you are saying.  What exactly are you trying
> to do?
>
>> buildout –c c:\Plone\'yoursitename'\buildout.cfg
>>
>> The above works but it re-installs new eggs etc alongside the old eggs
>> and the site breaks as below. When re-running buildout, Zope uses the
>> eggs with the higher numbers. Do you need to change anything to make
>> this work?
>
> What work? I don't know what your desired outcome is.
>

>> Also has anyone got Windows buildouts running in offline
>> mode? It seems the only way to fix this is to delete the new eggs etc
>> that have been fetched.
>
> The error below is a Plone error:
>
>> 2008-03-10T16:45:09 ERROR Application Couldn't install Five
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>> line 22.4-22.39
>>   ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File
>> "d:\plone3\insite2\eggs\plone.app.contentrules-1.1.0a1-
>> py2.4.egg\plone\app\contentrules\exportimport\configure.zcml",
>> line 16.4
>>   ConfigurationError: ('Unknown directive',
>> u'http://namespaces.zope.org/genericsetup', u'importStep')
>

> This looks like plone\app\contentrules\exportimport\configure.zcml" is
> missing a namespace declaration, but this has nothing to do with
> distutils.  I suggest going back to the plone list for help with this
> error. :)

I think what's going on is that non-newest mode is trying to download
things and update things, and offline mode is giving an error.

Some packages have gotten upgraded accidentally, including
plone.app.contentrules, to 3.1 beta 1 versions, so Michael has a version
of Plone that's half 3.0.6 and half 3.1.

The problem with -o downloading things is a buildout issue, though -
whether a bug or user error, I can't tell.

Martin