[Distutils] [zc.buildout] find-links does not deal with two-level hierarchy

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Fri Mar 7 19:27:15 CET 2008

Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2008, at 12:58 PM, Tres Seaver wrote:

>> Phillip J. Eby wrote:

>>> By design -- easy_install doesn't want to be a general-purpose web
>>> spider.
>>>
>>> If you want your index to work with find-links, you'll need to either
>>> dump it all in one level (and use -f instead of -i), or else put
>>> 2nd-level links in your find-links.
>> When you use 'easy_install -i URL', you are using an *index*, which is
>> different than using *find links* (the '-f' options).  If zc.buildout
>> were able to express "use this package index, but only for this target
>> egg", then that would be the equivalent spelling.
>

> zc.buildout does let you specify an index for an individual part/egg.

I didn't know that:  I believed the "there can be only one index" meme
which I heard during the KGS discussion.

> I fail to see how that is an equivalent spelling.

If each a buildout can customize the index URL for each egg it installs,
then Andreas can have what he wants, which is a way to install an egg in
the same way that 'easy_install -i' does.  'find-links' is a
distraction, in this case, because it is not the same as 'easy_install
- -i' (it is equivalent to 'easy_install -f').

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com