[Distutils] [issue24] Rename easy_install

Dave Peterson dpeterson at enthought.com
Tue Jun 17 01:27:33 CEST 2008

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 12:57 PM 6/16/2008 +1200, Greg Ewing wrote:
>> Any discussion of that sort seems to get hopelessly
>> bogged down, so bikeshedding is all that's left for
>> people to do.
>
> What about testing patches?  Writing test code?  Writing more docs?
> There's *plenty* of less controversial work to go around.  The only
> reason most of the outstanding patches I'm aware of haven't been
> applied yet is because they haven't been tested.  (Or more precisely,
> because setuptools hasn't been thoroughly tested with the patches
> applied.)

I can help test some of the patches I've seen people posting to the
tracker, but I can't commit to svn.   Beyond running the setuptools test
suite and verifying that things seems to work for me and my environment,
is there anything else that will help get some of the patches into svn?

BTW, most of those things you mention all effectively boil down to
writing patches in one way or another. :-)  How do we make sure that
after they get some review they get checked in when it seems so few
people have check-in privileges?  Phillip, you already mentioned that
you're short on time and no one else has responded to a plea for finding
out who has check-in privileges.  IIRC, you had previously talked about
coming up with a process to "bless" people but I don't think that went
very far.   I'm interested in participating but unsure of how to go
about the process.

-- Dave