[Distutils] [buildout] import develop eggs

stefan tjarks stefan at tjarks.de
Mon Jun 16 06:59:28 CEST 2008

I'm not sure where to post this, so if it's the wrong list please point
me to the right one.

I started using zc.buildout with django and are using djangorecipe[1].
After running buildout and trying to start django it fails trying to
import my development module. Here is what I did in more detail.

My folder structure:

root/
  bootstrap.py
  buildout.cfg
  src/
    myapp/
      setup.py
      src/

The buildout.cfg:

  [buildout]
  parts = django
  eggs = psycopg2
  develop = src/myapp

  [django]
  recipe = djangorecipe
  version = trunk
  django_location = ${buildout:directory}/django_src
  settings = development
  eggs = ${buildout:eggs}
  project = instance

Running bootstrap.py and bin/buildout works fine and gives me a
develop-eggs directory with an .egg-link file as well as a bin/django file.

After inserting 'myapp' into djangos settings file I tried to start
django with 'bin/django runserver' and it failed with

  ImportError: No module named myapp

The bin/django file is basically a wrapper, that sets the python path to
all eggs and the project root directory.

  #!/home/dev/python2.5/bin/python

  import sys
  sys.path[0:0] = [
  '/home/dev/eggs/psycopg2-2.0.7-py2.5-linux-ppc.egg',
  '/home/dev/eggs/djangorecipe-0.8-py2.5.egg',
  '/home/dev/eggs/zc.recipe.egg-1.0.0-py2.5.egg',
  '/home/dev/eggs/zc.buildout-1.0.6-py2.5.egg',
  '/home/dev/eggs/setuptools-0.6c8-py2.5.egg',
  '/home/dev/parts/django',
  '/home/dev',
  ]

  import djangorecipe.manage

  if __name__ == '__main__':
      djangorecipe.manage.main('instance.development')

I don't see what I have missed. I do see that the develop-eggs directory
is nowhere mentioned in the generated files, but thought that setuptools
would take care of that and made the dev eggs importable.

Regards
- -stj

[1] https://launchpad.net/djangorecipe