[Distutils] [issue24] Rename easy_install

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Sun Jun 15 04:16:30 CEST 2008

Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> writes:

> My objection to the name "easy_install" is that is sounds like a
> piece of marketing propaganda. If something based on it were to
> become part of the standard distribution, I would hope that a more
> neutral name could be found.

I share this objection.

Also, the name 'easy_install' gives no indication that it's specific
to Python. Such a generic name shouldn't be chosen for such a specific
subsystem.

Further, when other, non-install actions are introduced (such as the
much-requested "uninstall" action), we should already have a name that
will allow those actions to fit. I would hate to see the existing
situation compounded by the introduction of some 'easy_uninstall'
command.

The suggestion of 'pyegg' for the command name seems like a good
start, but there are doubtless others that should be considered.

--
 \       "I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything |
  `\                                  specifically."  -- Steven Wright |