[Distutils] [issue25] Prefer release versions of projects

Chris Galvan setuptools at bugs.python.org
Fri Jun 13 15:47:53 CEST 2008

New submission from Chris Galvan <cgalvan at mail.utexas.edu>:

Currently there is no ability to declare a preference for a release of a
project.  For example, I'd like to say my project requires "a release of
foo >= 2.0, <3.0".   I'd then like easy_install/setuptools
to only pick releases (no qualifiers of any kind alpha, beta, dev, etc.)
of 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, ....   As a further example, it should
totally ignore '2.5a1' and '2.6_r15669' and instead would fetch '2.2' if it
existed in the same repository.

It would be nice if this was the default behavior unless the user specified an
additional flag to accept qualifiers(which would return the behavior to its
previous state).  Also, it would fall back on eggs with qualifiers if no
releases were found.

messages: 48
nosy: cgalvan
priority: feature
status: chatting
title: Prefer release versions of projects