[Distutils] [zc.buildout] general doc sprawl

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Jul 18 18:37:22 CEST 2008

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> I agree. This "README.txt" isn't really a good primer on zc.buildout
> anymore. Well, honestly, it never was. It should just be renamed so we
> can stop pretending it was a test.

...and maybe not have it show up as pypi's readme for buildout?

>> - a list/reference of the options passable when running buildout
>>   (I think this appears about 30% of the way through that doc, but I'm
>>    not sure all the options are covered)
>>
>> - a list/reference of the "commands" buildout has. I counted "install"
>>   and "init" and maybe "bootstrap" too, but I don't know if that's all
>>   and I'm still hazy about what the differences are between each one.
>
> bin/buildout --help  ???

Oooh... yeah, this does solve the above two.

>> - a list/reference of the options names that have meaning in the
>>   [buildout] section to buildout itself. There seem to be a *lot* of
>>   these and they're scattered throughout the document at that URL. I
>>   have a horrible sinking feeling that I'm going to spend most of my
>>   life with buildout trying to find the right option name to use :-/

Nothing on this one though :-S

>> Oh, and a parting shot: it would be great to get some idea of the
>> "known good" recipe types to use too. I see the plone guys have
>> vomited several million recipe eggs into pypi and, to be blunt, it's
>> impossible to figure out which were written by muppets and which by
>> people with functioning brains.
>
> You're several orders of magnitude off :). PyPI counts 99 recipes
> (http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=browse&show=all&c=512) and there
> aren't that many that provide the same kind of functionality.

Yeah, like ccmi ;-)

> So why not
> jus try out a recipe when you need its functionality. If any of these
> were indeed written by "muppets", you'd find out pretty quickly, no?

Yes, after they've trashed your whole system, etc...

>> Someone mentioned a cmmi recipe at EPC. That sounded interesting but
>> now I don't know where to find it...
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=buildout+cmmi+recipe

pypi.python.org/pypi/hexagonit.recipe.cmmi/
pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.recipe.cmmi/

Which to go for?

cheers,

Chris