[Distutils] Python version numbers and jython, IronPython, PyPy, and ShedSkin

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Tue Jan 22 18:27:50 CET 2008

On Jan 22, 2008, at 10:13 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:

> What is the advantage of such a 'noarch' egg over just distributing
> 'sdist' tarballs (AKA "source eggs")?  Setuptools / easy_install is
> happy to consume them, and I would much rather work with them.

That's an excellent point.  Honestly, the only reason I ever notice
this arch question is because the setuptools egg itself (for
bootstrapping with ez_setup.py) has a pyX.Y in it, and this makes it
cost an extra 600 KB if I want to bundle setuptools with my app.  I
can solve this easily enough by hacking my copy of ez_setup.py to
load a setuptools egg without an X.Y in its name, though...  ;-)

So I withdraw my interest in no-arch eggs, because you've reminded me
that I strongly prefer source eggs.

Regards,

Zooko