[Distutils] Experience of setuptools' cache design

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jan 18 20:08:45 CET 2008

On Jan 18, 2008, at 1:55 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>  It doesn't appear to be compatible
>> with multi-version installs.
>
> It *can* be compatible, with certain limitations.

I don't see how, unless you mean that only one version is handled this
way.

>>  Also, if a newer egg version removes a
>> file, the removed file will be left installed after an upgrade.  If
>> two eggs provide the same file, files will be overridden. Admittedly,
>> this is a somewhat pathological case, but the overriding seems to
>> compound the pathology.
>
> Again, this is all true without eggs now.  Clearly, eggs have
> spoiled you tremendously.  ;-)

Absolutely. No kidding. Eggs are great!

> Seriously, though, if buildout is tracking what files get installed
> or overwritten during unzipping, you can manage all of this, just as
> you presumably do for any other sort of installation recipe, no?

It isn't possible if different parts need different versions.  If I
ignore multi-version requirements, then I could keep track of files
installed.

In addition, a nice feature of buildouts is that you can share egg
directories between buildouts. This is very handy, but makes multi-
version support even more important.

>> As described in a separate thread, I'm going to add an option to
>> buildout so buildout users can explicitly define a directory to use
>> as
>> a setuptools cache.  In that case, zip-safe eggs can remain zipped
>> even if they have extensions.
>
> If you want to be really safe/careful, you can pre-extract the eggs
> to the cache, thereby avoiding any runtime permission problems.

Yup, except I don't see a way to enumerate the resources.  After all,
resources aren't listed in the egg meta data. I could make an educated
guess and extract all of the non-py files. Or I guess I could just
extract everything. :)  Disk space is pretty cheap, so this is really
quite practical IMO.

JIm

--
Jim Fulton