[Distutils] buildout: setting envirionment variables for zc.recipe.egg:custom?

Christian Zagrodnick cz at gocept.com
Mon Feb 11 19:57:06 CET 2008

On 2008-02-11 19:08:56 +0100, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> said:

> On Feb 11, 2008, at 9:23 AM, Christian Zagrodnick wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> building lxml requires additional configuration so it finds xslt-
>> config
>> correctly. One possibility is to set the PATH environment variable.
>> The
>> other is to call setup.py --xslt-config=...
>>
>> Using setup.py --xslt-config doesn't fit at all into buildout i think.
>
> I don't agree. First, this isn't really so much about buildout as it
> is about the eggs recipe.  The zc.recipe.egg:custom already provides
> custom build support.  It seems reasonable to extend it to allow
> something like this.

I would be fine with that of course.

>> Setting environment variables before installing an egg on the other
>> hand might be useful.
>
> Would that help in *this* case?

Yes, it would. Because lxml looks in the $PATH for xslt-config. So
setting it correctly would help.

>> Would it make sense to put this into
>> zc.recipe.egg or would it be better to create some unrelated recipe
>> which only sets envirionment variables?
>

> I suggest updating zc.recipe.egg:custom to accept environment-
> variable, assuming that setting environment variables is sufficient.

It is.

> I think an option to pass setup custom options would be useful as well.

Probably. Although apparently there are not so many eggs requiring it.

Anyway, environment would be fine, option would be better :)

--
Christian Zagrodnick

gocept gmbh & co. kg  ·  forsterstrasse 29 · 06112 halle/saale
www.gocept.com · fon. +49 345 12298894 · fax. +49 345 12298891