[Distutils] alternatives to zc.buildout?

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Feb 8 17:44:20 CET 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:27:00AM -0500, Tres Seaver wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > What are the alternatives to zc.buildout?
> >
> > I'm wondering before I plough into zc.buildout because I'm guessing
> > other big projects have run into the problem of pinning certain versions
> > of eggs, building "instance homes" for projects, using a mixture of
> > "public" eggs and those that are private and for a specific project, etc
> > and otherwise working round limitations in setuptools...
>
> The major competitor for mindshare is probably Ian Bicking's
> 'virtualenv':  it makes using 'easy_install' *really* easy, because you
> are working in a sandbox.

And then there are people who combine zc.buildout with virtualenv.  They
solve slightly different problems: virtualenv isolates a sandbox from
unknown and possibly broken stuff in your system-wide Python
installation; zc.buildout automates downloading and building
dependencies (which can be anything from pure Python packages to C
libraries).

Marius Gedminas
--
99 little bugs in the code,