[Distutils] Binary only egg

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Dec 5 00:44:04 CET 2008

At 10:17 AM 12/4/2008 +0000, Fadhley Salim wrote:
>Could somebody point me to the distutils option which prevents built
>eggs from containing the source-code: The egg should only contain the
>compiled byte-code. I seem to remember that there's a simple keyword
>argument to the setuptools.setup command which will do this.

$ python setup.py bdist_egg --help
Common commands: (see '--help-commands' for more)

   setup.py build      will build the package underneath 'build/'
   setup.py install    will install the package

Global options:
   --verbose (-v)  run verbosely (default)
   --quiet (-q)    run quietly (turns verbosity off)
   --dry-run (-n)  don't actually do anything
   --help (-h)     show detailed help message

Options for 'bdist_egg' command:
   --bdist-dir (-b)        temporary directory for creating the distribution
   --plat-name (-p)        platform name to embed in generated filenames
                           (default: win32)
   --exclude-source-files  remove all .py files from the generated egg
   --keep-temp (-k)        keep the pseudo-installation tree around after
                           creating the distribution archive
   --dist-dir (-d)         directory to put final built distributions in
   --skip-build            skip rebuilding everything (for testing/debugging)