[Distutils] Are egg files needed when building/installing via --root?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Dec 1 10:16:23 CET 2008

Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Checking platform-specific stuff is not in the scope of pkg-config.

No, but you need to "natively" refer to libraries. For example, say I
build a library with visual studio, can pkg-config retreive the
necessary information for build/link/version ? It can't (at least it
couldn't last time I checked, which was like a year ago).

> If something is missing in pkg-config (which is not trivial, since it is
> already very extensible), I’m pretty sure we could get the upstream
> developers to integrate the necessary changes.

Here are a few things:
    - being buildable with MS toolchain (without mingw or cygin)
    - being usable on windows "shell" (cmd.exe) so that MS can use the
information.

IOW, nothing works ATM. It is obvious that pkg-config is not
cross-platform and only care about POSIX-like systems. Open source
projects which want to be buildable with MS toolchains all use something
else, like cmake, scons, etc... to check for dependencies.

The only thing which would make sens IMO is a python-specific solution,
which would be cross platform, but usable only for python packages, both
from command line or python prompts.

David