[Distutils] [buildout] improving zc.recipe.egg's README.txt

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Aug 14 12:13:01 CEST 2008

Jim Fulton wrote:

>> However, given that the demo egg is a binary egg, I can't decide what
>> the best way to do this is.
>
> We could just show the contents of setup.py or simply explain, perhaps
> in a footnote that the scripts are defined via entry points, giving a
> link to the setuptools documentation.

To be honest, given the use of the demo egg all over the place, maybe
it'd be better just to have it as a static directory in the distribution?
Is there any technical reason that means we can't do this?

>> I'd thought of using the zipfile module to reach inside the egg, but
>> I'm confused as to why -py2.3.egg files are specified in the test and
>> work even though I'm running with python 2.4 and there's no python 2.3
>> in sight?
>
> The examples have to show something, The tests have to be run with
> multiple versions of Python, since multiple versions of Python are
> supported.  An output normalizer takes care adjusting actual and
> expected output for the version of Python used at run time.

Okay, so if I wanted to use ZipFile to reach inside an egg, what path
should I use to open? Is the normalisation code available as a function
anywhere?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk