[Distutils] [ANN] stdeb 0.2

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Sat Apr 26 18:46:10 CEST 2008

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 03:49:34 -0700, Andrew Straw <strawman at astraw.com> wrote:
>I would like to announce the release of stdeb 0.2.
>
>= What is it? =
>
>stdeb http://stdeb.python-hosting.com/ ("setuptools debian") produces Debian source packages from Python packages via a new distutils command, sdist_dsc, which produces a Debian source package of a Python package. Automatic defaults are provided for the Debian package, but many aspects of the resulting package can be customized via a configuration file.
>
>= What's new? =

Cool.  I gave this a try on Twisted.  Here's what I found:

  * dpkg-buildpackage failed on the result when I ran sdist_dsc from a
    "development" version of Twisted - ie, one with a version string
    like "8.0.1+r23437".  This seemed to be caused by directories in the
    source package being named inconsistently, resulting in commands
    failing with "no such directory" errors.

  * After I switched to a released version of Twisted, I was able to create
    a package.  When installing the package, I encountered this failure:

Compiling /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/twisted/test/generator_failure_tests.py ...
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/twisted/test/generator_failure_tests.py", line 66
    yield
         ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

pycentral: pycentral pkginstall: error byte-compiling files (991)
pycentral pkginstall: error byte-compiling files (991)
dpkg: error processing python-twisted (--install):
 python-twisted

Indeed, there is a file in Twisted which is not valid Python 2.4 syntax.
It is only used by the test suite when running on Python 2.5.  Is there
some way to have this excluded or compensated for?

  * Perhaps because of the previous error, the installed package doesn't
    look quite right.  With Python 2.4, the `twisted´ package is importable
    but with Python 2.5 it can't be found.  Compared to the twisted dir
    in the Python 2.4 site-packages directory, the twisted dir in the Python
    2.5 site-packages directory is very sparsely populated, with many files
    and directories missing.

Thanks for your work on this.

Jean-Paul