[Distutils] shebang line modified by setuptools

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sun Apr 13 18:43:25 CEST 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 12:31:08PM -0400, Stephen Waterbury wrote:
> What I am proposing:

> 1)  the OS comes with its own "system Python", which is installed
> not as the "python" package, but as some OS-required package
> (maybe call it "system-python" or something) and it goes into
> /usr/system/bin/python or whatever -- it doesn't matter what the
> path is as long as it's not /usr/bin or anything on the default
> path.  And system utilities that are python scripts should have
> their own system-specific, hard-coded shebang line.

> 2)  separately from the "system Python", the available packages
> shown by the system's package manager include one or more "python.x"
> packages which are python interpreters that the user or sysadmin can
> optionally install, and which go into /usr.  And the system package
> manager -- e.g., apt on Debian/Ubuntu systems) would have all its usual
> nicely-packaged python apps (python-this, python-that, ...) that would
> also install into /usr and use the nicely-packaged python (not to be
> confused with the "system Python" of 1).

OK. I am starting to see what you mean. I agree it does make sense.

It seems to me that you are bringing in a distinction between "system
Python scripts" and user Python script. For me the system Python scripts
should live in "/bin" and use the system Python, and the users should
live in "/usr/bin" and use "/usr/bin/env python". But that's just me.

Inspecting my boxes did show that this is quite close to the way it is
already on Debian systems. I don't have accounts on other kind of Unix,
so I can't see how it is done elsewhere.

Cheers,

Gaël