[Distutils] bdist_wininst TypeError

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Oct 8 00:12:51 CEST 2007

At 05:01 PM 10/7/2007 -0500, Mike wrote:
>Ok. I uninstalled everything related to Python including my ctypes and
>wxPython installations. I reinstalled Python 2.4.3 and setuptools
>0.6c7. It still gives me the TypeError as before.
>
>Also, now it won't recognize "python" as a command name. While I can
>start python's command line terminal by going to Start, Run, and
>typing "python", if I open a command window and type the following:
>
>python setup.py bdist_wininst
>
>I get
>
>'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>operable program or batch file.
>
>Unless I actually type out the path to the python executable. Maybe
>there's something wrong with the PyCrypto module itself.

It works fine for me.  What's appears to be wrong is that you have
(or had) more than one Python installation, and I suspect the one you
uninstalled was not the one that you were using.

>  I don't know.
>I guess I'll post this to the c.l.py group too.

I wouldn't bother until you find out what other Python(s) are
installed on your system and get clear about which ones you're
running.  I tried installing PyCrypto from the same page you spoke
of, and it worked fine for me using Python 2.4 on Windows.