[Distutils] bdist_wininst TypeError

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Oct 7 18:12:11 CEST 2007

At 07:05 AM 10/7/2007 -0500, Mike wrote:
>Phillip,
>
>On 10/6/07, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> > At 02:25 PM 10/6/2007 -0500, Mike wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >That's what I thought, but before I installed the distutils package
> > >manually, I got this:
> > >
> > >L:\Temp\pycrypto-2.0.1>python setup.py
> > >Traceback (most recent call last):
> > >   File "setup.py", line 8, in ?
> > >     from setuptools import setup
> > >ImportError: No module named setuptools
> > >

> > >And I get that now that I've deleted the distutils-egg file. Do I need
> > >to download setuptools from some place?
> >
> > Distutils comes with Python, setuptools does not.  For setuptools
> > installation info, see:
> >
> >     http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools
> >

>I'm usually not this dense when it comes to Python. I'm just new to
>the distribution process. I did as you said and now I'm back to the
>first error I posted. I deleted the distutils-egg and the
>setuptools-egg directories.

Try this:

python -c "import distutils; print distutils.__version__, distutils.__file__"

This should print a version and a filename.  The filename should be
something like 'c:\Python24\Lib\distutils\...' (*without*
site-packages between the Lib and distutils), and the version should
be 1.0.3 or higher.

If the location is different, you haven't uninstalled it
correctly.  If the location is correct but the version is less than
1.0.3, you installed the distutils over the version that came with
Python, and will have to reinstall Python to fix it.