[Distutils] stdeb- how to?

Matt Good matt at matt-good.net
Thu May 10 08:38:39 CEST 2007

maya lan wrote:
> Dear all...
> i am a new in this...
> how i can use stdeb to create a debian package  for my
> python package(my project)..
> i read this (http://stdeb.python-hosting.com/)
> article.. but i cant understand.. so plz help

How far have you gotten?

I haven't tried this package, but from what I read on the page and what
I know of Debian packaging I'd suggest running the following:
stdeb_run_setup
debuild *.dsc

If you don't have debuild installed try this instead of debuild:
dpkg-source -x *.dsc
cd <the folder that extracted to>
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

This list is good for help directly with distutils or setuptools, and
some with zc.buildout, but I'm not sure what you'll find with an
extension like stdeb, since I don't think it's well known.  You can also
try contacting the author directly (his email is on the website).  Or if
you need help with Debian packaging there is the Debian New Maintainers
Guide, or take a look at the Ubuntu Packaging Guide which is not as
comprehensive, but a little clearer introduction:
http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/packagingguide/C/index.html

-- Matt Good