[Distutils] How can I get setuptools to include files beyond what find_packages() finds?

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Fri Jul 27 21:47:08 CEST 2007

I'm trying to package an rpm for enthought kiva.  The regular setup.py
uses the numpy distutils because of some cpp functions that have to be
compiled and are somehow tied to numpy.

Someone recently did a "build in place" program that uses the existing
setup.py (that I renamed setup.original.py) and builds the .so files in
the regular source directory hierarchy.  I did that and then tried to run
setuptools (python setup.py bdist_rpm) using a straightforward setup.py.
It included all the python files but missed the *.so files.  I can run
kiva examples if I manually put the *.so files into the proper place in
site-packages, so I know they are needed.

I tried including

 packages = find_packages(),
 package_data = {'': ['*.so']},

in the setup.py, but it still missed the *.so files.

What am I doing wrong?

Stan Klein