[Distutils] DistUtils does not install

Rajeev Nair rajeev.nair at gridstoneresearch.com
Wed Jul 25 21:29:05 CEST 2007

Hi Folks,

I am a complete newbie to python and its modules. I have got the following
error upon installing DistUtils modules

Python setup.py install

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "setup.py", line 30, in ?

    packages = ['distutils', 'distutils.command'],

  File "/usr/local/Distutils-1.0.2/distutils/core.py", line 101, in setup

    _setup_distribution = dist = klass(attrs)

  File "/usr/local/Distutils-1.0.2/distutils/dist.py", line 130, in __init__

    setattr(self, method_name, getattr(self.metadata, method_name))

AttributeError: DistributionMetadata instance has no attribute 'get___doc__'

What am I missing here ? Tried Installing some python-devel modules too but
they just wouldn't install complaining about the python version to be 2.4. I
have installed the same version of python though.

The OS is Suse x86_64 GNU/Linux

Please help.

Regards,

Rajeev