[Distutils] [Catalog-sig] Prototype setuptools-specific PyPI index.

Noah Gift noah.gift at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 21:30:44 CEST 2007

On 7/23/07, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Benji York wrote:
>
> > Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> >> And where somewhat slower could be "practically not noticable".
> >
> > Perhaps it /could/ be, but isn't currently.  For example, updating
> > one piece of software I have with almost 150 dependencies takes 45
> > seconds with ppix, 4:45 without.  I plan to do similar timings with
> > the "simple" PyPI interface when I get a chance and report the
> > results here.
>
> I suspect that this has more to do with network distance than with
> server speed.

That is an interesting point.  It is amazing how many directory type things
get slammed, but the problem is really latency...such as a slow DNS lookup.
 I wonder how much quicker an easy_install would be will local DNS
lookups,package names, etc.

I had a problem with a LDAP server I setup that was really tricky to figure
out until I wrote some scripts that ran continuously getting stats, and I
realized that a DNS server would hang occasionally and it would grind
everything to a halt.  People kept telling me they would have an occasional
'ls -l' that would hang for 20 seconds.  Caching DNS servers fixed it.

Jim

http://www.blog.noahgift.com