[Distutils] failing to build quadtree if the package is already installed

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jan 26 18:03:07 CET 2007

At 11:11 AM 1/26/2007 -0500, Kurt Schwehr wrote:
>Sorry if this kind of thing has already been discussed.  I am packaging
>quadtree for Mac OSX/fink (deb based package management) and am getting a
>failed build if the package is alread installed and I am trying to do a
>rebuild.  Can someone point me at what needs to be changed?  Is this
>because quadtree is a namespace?

Yes, and it shouldn't be, since its __init__.py contains actual code, and
is missing a namespace declaration.  (The whole point of a namespace
package is that the package itself shouldn't contain any code.  After all,
in a --single-version-externally-managed install, the __init__.py will not
even be *there*.)

So, this is a packaging error on the part of the quadtree
developer(s).  Most likely, quadtree is not really a namespace package and
should not be declared as one, because the only reason to do that is if
there are modules or subpackages under that package that are distributed
*separately*.  My guess is that the author saw a namespace declaration in
some other project's setup.py and thought it was required boilerplate
instead of an option.